Driveway Mirror & Traffic Mirrors
Shop for a driveway mirror to prevent dangerous accidents and select from our diverse selection of Made in the USA driveway mirrors & traffic mirrors.
All of our models are hand made on order and are available between the minimum recommended size of 12" in diameter to 48" in diameter to provide the best visibility and widest viewing area. All offerings are specially engineered heavy duty outdoor convex mirrors made to last in even the most demanding weather conditions.
Driveway & Traffic Mirror Recommendations:
- Round convex mirrors between 12'' to 48'' in diameter to ensure you have the best visibility of oncoming traffic
- Steel backing is the most durable material; ensure hardboard backing is treated to prevent moisture
- The Duramir Polycarbonate material is the most durable for outdoor durability
- Strategically place mirror no more than 20 feet from drive
We feature the most common mirrors used for traffic & driveway blind spot applications. You can use any outdoor convex mirror, but these are the most popular models we recommend.
A Driveway Mirror Will Improve Your Reaction Time and Help You Avoid Costly Accidents
Vehicle accidents at intersections such as driveways, crosswalks, entrances, exits and other areas involving reduced or impaired visibility are one of the most common yet easily preventable types of road collisions. All too often there a structures, hills, curves, landscaping and other obstructions which prevent clear visibility when pulling into oncoming traffic. Many times these objects cannot be relocated or removed. They become a burden and a ticking time bomb whenever navigating dangerous intersections. Head on collisions and side impacts resulting from blind spots or reduced reaction times often cause severe injury or even death. A driveway mirror costs much less than your yearly vehicle maintenance expenses. They are a high effectively yet extremely inexpensive way to implement an accident prevention program to protect you and your family from accidents. They are overlooked or not even considered when trying to come up with an effective safety program to combat this dangerous issue. Check your local township, county or state department of transportation or safety office. Some have traffic engineers or safety engineers to assist you in your endeavor of accident prevention. You may even qualify for a grant or financial assistance. See the reference below for the most important considerations and factors when shopping for a driveway & traffic mirror.
- A driveway mirror is commonly placed at driveway exits on the opposite side of the road no more than 20' away from the driver for the most effective blind spot coverage. They are typically mounted to posts, walls, trees or telephone poles. If you do not have a mounting surface readily available, shop for a 4X4 post in a home center or hardware store. They are one of the most common and easiest means to mount the mirror. Be sure to dig a hole a least 2 to 3 feet into the ground to best secure the post.
- To calculate the correct diameter for a convex traffic mirror based on the mounting location to where you will be looking into the mirror, simply use the rule of 1.5" of mirror diameter for every foot you are from the mirror. If there is not an exact size available after your calculation simply round up. For example, if the mounting location of the mirror is 22 feet from where you will be on the sidewalk looking directly at the mirror to view oncoming traffic simply multiply that figure (22) by 1.5. The calculation is 33. Since a 33" mirror does not exist, you would select a mirror the next size up which is a 36" diameter mirror.
- For driveway mirrors, the calculation is the same. Measure the distance from the driver's seat to the location where the mirror will be mounted. Use that measurement and multiply is by 1.5. If the calculation is less than 26 feet then we recommend shopping for a mirror no less than 26 inches in diameter.
- Keep in mind that most two-lane roads and highways are just over 20' across so a 26" mirror is the smallest recommended diameter convex mirror for driveways. This will provide the clearest, and most comprehensive viewing area needed to safely pull onto roadways with fast approaching traffic.
- Shop our round convex mirror models are available in an acrylic or unbreakable Duramir brand in either weather resistant treated hardboard, weatherproof ABS plastic or heavy duty galvanized backing. The weather resistant backing is the most economical choice and has a poly coating to protect the mirror from the elements. The ABS plastic backing offers a shatterproof, completely weatherproof surface that is lightweight yet extremely durable. It is preferred in coastal areas where the salt water environment is highly corrosive. The galvanized steel backing models are ideal for heavy industrial and all weather conditions. Steel backing is also the best choice for high wind applications as they are the heavier than other models and provide better wind resistance.
- Rectangular convex mirror models have an acrylic convex lens in either a weather resistant hardboard or heavy duty galvanized steel backing (depending on brand and model). They are great for low clearance areas. Often utilized where a low profile mirror is desired in order to reduce the possibility of further blocking your view.
If makes no difference if you are shopping for a traffic mirror or just needing advice on choosing the right mirror to fit your own application, you can count on National Safety Mirror to offer assistance and the best pricing available. We have a full staff on hand to offer expert advice and buying options. The phone call and friendly advice is always on us.